logo
menu

Engie granted contract to build and operate biomass plant in Spain

Global energy company Engie has been awarded a government contract to build and operate a biomass heating plant in Spain. The new plant will be built in Pamplona in Spain’s Navarre region with a capacity of 29 MW.

The plant will have permission to operate for 25 years and will supply heat to 4,500 households, as well as several public buildings in Pamplona. It is set to cost more than €12.5 million, of which Engie will contribute €6 million. The remaining €6.5 million will be provided by Navarra de Suelo y Vivienda (Nasuvinsa), the Navarre government body in charge of housing and urban development, sourcing half of its share from the EU fund for Navarre.

The plant will generate 90% of its energy from forest biomass, using natural gas as fuel for the remaining 10%. Engie already operates the country’s first heating and cooling network in Barcelona as well as 10 wind farm plants in the region of Aragon. It is hoped that the first 14.5MW phase of the new biomass heating plant will be operational in 2020, expanding to reach 29MW at full capacity at a later date.

In collaboration with the Government of Navarre and the city council of Pamplona, the new plant will be a key investment in the area’s ‘Efidistrict’ energy rehabilitation project, led by Nasuvinsa.




185 queries in 1.126 seconds.