RWE Innogy to build Sicily’s first co-gen plant

In Sicily, Italy, RWE Innogy Italia is to build a biomass cogeneration plant after signing a construction agreement.

Together RWE Innogy and its JV partner Fri-EI Green Power will own 90% of the project, while the remaining 10% will be owned by Infrastrutture e Gestioni S.p.A.

Construction of the plant is expected to commence later on this year before it comes online in late 2012. When operations begin the plant will generate 18.7MW of renewable energy, or 128,000MWh, which will produce enough electricity to benefit 30,000 households.

‘The integrated supply concept provides for the use of local biomass for decentralised energy production and a close cooperation with the Italian partners,’ said the CEO of RWE Innogy Cogen Stephan Lohr. ‘Enna is the ideal location for this.’

Supply agreements have already been signed, which will see wood from the local eucalyptus tree plantations supplied to the facility.

189 queries in 0.586 seconds.