HOFOR will no longer buy Russian biomass

Danish utility HOFOR is seeking to reduce or eliminate the share of Russian biomass used in its Amager power plant and has pledged to not buy any Russian biomass in the future.

The company currently has agreements in place meaning the Amager facility could receive biomass sourced from Russia to produce district heating and electricity.

In a statement, HOFOR’s CEO Lars Therkildsen said the company is “very concerned about the dramatic developments in Ukraine”. Therkildsen said the team is following the situation closely and in ongoing dialogue with its board and municipal owners about its approach to the crisis.

“In collaboration with Danish authorities, we have tightened security around HOFOR’s important supplies,” he commented. “We believe that we are robust and can supply water, heat, city gas, district cooling and wind energy, despite the development. We are constantly keeping an eye on this, and we have also tightened our IT security.”

Like other customers in Denmark, the gas HOFOR purchases on the natural gas market consists of a share of gas from Russia. The company uses natural gas in the city gas supply and produce district heating in peak and reserve load plants.

HOFOR’s city gas, supplied to Copenhagen households, consists of more than 60% biogas produced at the capital’s own treatment plants, a share the company expects to increase. The remaining 40% contains biogas from other Zealand plants and natural gas from Norway, the Netherlands, North African countries, and Russia.

Therkildsen added: “It is a political matter to set a framework, for example, for imports from Russia, and we are ready to immediately follow political measures and sanctions in this area.”

205 queries in 1.395 seconds.